Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI
From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 06:20:33 -0800
Have they actually provided you with a full datasheet including lifespan
study data or at least projections?

Personally I refuse to purchase any reserve power battery without a full
datasheet including cycle life.

Saying 5x the charge/discharge cycles is shiny, but where is the data?
Compared to what a Costo RV battery or a _real deep cycle_?

A generic RV/Marine deepcycle may be useless after < 50 80% DOD cycles,
a better grade trolling 300ish, proper industrial types at least 600.
IIRC the Concord/Lifeline AGMs are rated at 1200 80% DOD cycles.

They are hell to get in AK due to freight, but a single Concord/Lifeline
D31 size while ~ 70lbs is 105ah, rated for 1200 80% DOD cycles (and IIRC
this rating is to 20% capacity loss) and is perfectly happy bulk
charging at 110amps...

Don't mean to rant, but I have a real sore point with battery
makers/sellers that don't publish datasheets yet make /interesting/
claims about life and capacity.  Had a big fight with Batt+ just last
year about their attempt to substitute Oddesy batts for Concord,
claiming they were equiv...Not a bad battery, infact pretty good for a
starting/deepcycle, but after fighting to get the datasheet..600 cycle
rating, they are starting/reserve NOT industrial deepcycle.