Re: [RFI] Control cable

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Control cable
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 08:55:43 -0700
On Wed,6/29/2016 8:43 AM, Gary Smith wrote:
That said, I do think better control wires are needed and I can
convert the existing CAT6 wires into 4 more radials for 160.

It's always useful to think about the mechanism by which RF induced onto those control wires might cause difficulty. They're driving relays, so no RF susceptibility there, and you've observed no issues in the control electronics that drives them. So -- I wouldn't worry about anything more than physical properties and Ohm's law in choosing those cables. And since CAT5/6 is working, conductors of modest size appear to be sufficient.

What I WOULD do is choke them well at the frequencies of interest, not only in the shack, but at intermediate points, so that they receive and re-radiate RF noise. Since they're not carrying TX RF, turns around a single toroid or clamp-on should be sufficient.