Re: [RFI] DC Power supplies

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] DC Power supplies
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 22:10:15 -0700
On Sun,5/8/2016 1:04 AM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
That quiet power supply is a Tenma 40A with adjustable voltage. It was sold by the same company that sells Rigol. I have A Rigol spectrum analyzer.

Hmmm -- the power supply in my Rigol puts out enough RF noise that I can see it on an inductive probe. Rather disappointing if you're trying to use it to evaluate noise in a product. When I discussed this with the distributor at Dayton a few years ago I got a blank stare.

As to these supplies being "clean" -- how close are they to RX antennas? I have a no-name supply that hams told me was clean, and it's a holy terror on the 160M vertical that's 25 ft from the shack. Not so bad on high dipoles, but the SteppIR 200 ft from the shack zeroes in on it on some HF bands. And I've got it heavily choked and caps across in and out terminals!