Re: [RFI] RF into home alarm system

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RF into home alarm system
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 20:14:04 -0700
On Sun,10/18/2015 6:46 PM, Tim Duffy wrote:
that wired system is a huge antenna.

Yes, AND alarm systems are notoriously BAD about rejecting RFI. I agree with Tim -- go wireless if it's an option.

On Sun,10/18/2015 6:35 PM, W5JR Mike wrote:
Last eve, wanting to play a bit in the Pre-Stew on 160m, but as yet not having
my 160 antenna repaired, I was able to get the tuner to find a match on the 80m
OCF. Even with just 100w, folks were answering my CQ's. I'm sure there was lots
of stray RF floating around.

OCF antennas are notorious for putting common mode current on the feedline, which in turn puts that current on wiring inside your home. In effect, home wiring becomes part of the antenna. It is a recipe for RFI.