Re: [RFI] w7ekb & ground rods

To: "'jim@audiosystemsgroup.com'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] w7ekb & ground rods
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 22:07:25 +0000
Jim,

I'm not sure if the lightning protection measures are tailored to VHF/UHF sites
in any way I can see.  Lightning doesn't care what band the antennas and
equipment are.  They all blow up the same without taking some grounding
protection.

I do agree with you these are guidelines for best practice and not laws in
stone.  Ham radio stations in homes are not communications facilities.  QST had
a great article on this few years ago by the Polyphaser founder (Roger Block, I
think).  The recommendations can be accommodated to fit the ordinary home, and
additional (less expensive) precautions taken (i.e. disconnect and ground entry
port) when we can't meet the letter of R56.  Also most hams don't need to be
"on-the-air" throughout a thunderstorm unless they're operating at an EOC for
ARES/RACES.

My ham shack doesn't meet R56 completely either.  But I've done as much as
possible to come as close as I could afford to meet it.  Why spend $1000-$2000
or more on radios and antennas and then go cheap on lightning protection only
to lose the ham equipment (and other electronics in the house too)?

Lots of good ideas in those links even for ham shacks that are remote locations
from their towers.  Look at the dispatch centers for possible ideas to link
grounds back to single point grounds.

73, de ed -K0iL