Re: [RFI] RFI Power Supplies

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Power Supplies
From: "Anthony (N2KI)" <n2ki.ham@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 11:52:21 -0400
>From a friend of mine who has an IOTA Power supply.  You may want to look
at these.

Here is the info on the IOTA DLS-55.  If you also get the IQ4 smart charger
module (like I did or buy the supply with the internal IQ4) it turns the
supply into an automatic battery charger/power supply.  The rig can be left
attached directly to the battery at all times.  These units are not
designed to be placed on a desk. In fact, the are intended to be used in
RVs where they would be mounted out of sight in a compartment.  Mine is
located under the radio table.

These units are exceptionally RF clean and have excellent electrical
characteristics.  I put mine on my 300 mHz 'scope and noted no turn on
spike, no shutdown spike, and no hash.  I do not have a spectrum analyzer
so I couldn't do a scientific test for RFI but I have been unable to detect
any emissions from it on BC/HF/VHF/UHF when running it on the operating
table in front of all of my rigs regardless of the frequency being
monitored.

Another benefit is that the IOTA power supplies/chargers are designed so
their outputs can be paralleled.  You could, effectively, have a
13.8 VDC,110A supply if you paralleled two DLS-55s.  Put their outputs
directly across a large AH battery and you have a UPS if you feed an
inverter.

True, the supplies do not have any meters but you can connect a remote
analog or digital meter that would be visible from the operating position.
 Check out these inexpensive digital panel-mount meters:
http://www.radioinc.com/oscmax/catalog/index.php?cPath=68

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)