[RFI] 80M noise

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] 80M noise
From: Larry Bryan <larry@w8lig.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 22:20:52 -0400
I've been following this list for several months now. I saw recommendations
for the Tecsun radio to help locate interference, so I purchased the PL660.
I have a NVIS dipole antenna that I use on MARS frequencies just above the
80m band. I've had constant noise on that frequency, some days better then
others. Not so much pulse noise, but just electrical buzz.

So last night I found one source was the new style curly lights that were
in the fan/light in the shack. There are 4 of those and using the radio I
found them to be a source and when shut off did make a impact on the radio.
Replaced those with standard bulbs. Now I have not had time to shut off the
main breaker as suggested in many posts, but I did discover when I took the
Tecsun outside that I have a large noise from the dipole coax. If I get
anywhere near the lead in, the radio goes full scale. Same type noise I'm
hearing on the Flex.

My antenna is a Tennadyne TD-90HP800 folded dipole in a inverted V
configuration. Coax goes into a balun at the feed point of the antenna. The
balun is part of the antenna package. Just looking for some feedback on
this issue.
73
Larry - W8LIG