Re: [RFI] router RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] router RFI
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 21:34:00 -0800
On 3/3/2013 8:01 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
computers on cat6 megabit, as well as one net book, one lap top, and one printer on wireless. NADA, but I do hear two signals that appear to be routers spread across about 14 MHz clear up into the VHF range.

Hi Roger,

There are several common spurs that show up in CW bands, which is where I mostly operate. They are good "beacons" for Ethernet trash. They are around 14029.5, 21052.5, and the very low end of 10M (like 28014, etc.) Each switch is free-running on it's own clock, so if you have neighbors you'll hear these spurs for each of them on a slightly different frequency. I heard at least 3-4 in Chicago, but out here in the woods, with antennas pretty far from the house, I barely hear my own router (which, of course, is choked).

Dale and Cortland -- something you could do for us is provide a good description of the spectra that typically results from Ethernet traffic so that we can identify it. Those slightly modulated carriers (plus a lot more than those listed here), and broadband hash on 2M, is all that I've identified myself.