Re: [RFI] RFI suppression cores for 147 MHz

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI suppression cores for 147 MHz
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 05:11:32 -0500
Listen to Dale; I've been to his shop (when he was still there) in Cedar Rapids. Interesting days.

The connector is typical of its type. Be sure it is actually making contact in the shielded receptacle and that the foil shield (you won't find braid in a civilian product) all the way around and to a conductive surface of the braid; I've seen off-the-shelf cable with connectors assembled to the insulated side of a Mylar-aluminum shield.

FWIW department; military stuff is orders of magnitude harder to do than civilian. A military product I worked on a few years ago someone had fondly and optimistically designed with Ethernet routed on multi-conductor connectors (though using an otherwise well shielded quadraxial cable). They were repeatedly told not to -- and not just by me.

The design had to be changed to shielded quadrax all the way down to the card level, and the connector to MIL-38999 with quadrax inserts (example: http://eccochicago.com/wp-content/inventory_images/Amphenol%20Quadrax%20Contacts.png ). Be warned.

The router is another problem. That one is a Class A device and certified at an RF level three times higher than a Class B device meant for residential use. Reference to "for residential use" in the installation istructions is contradicted by the class for which it is certifed both in the FCC-required wording and the EN 55022 Declatation of COnfromity.

From the installation instructions at
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/FS116_IGprt_16Dec09.pdf :

*Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Compliance Notice: Radio Frequency Notice* This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
.  This device may not cause harmful interference.
. This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation. Note: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class A digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interferences in
a residential installation....

*EN 55 022 Declaration of Conformance*
This is to certify that the NETGEAR Model ProSafe^(TM) 16 Port 10/100 Switch with 8 Port PoE FS116P is shielded against the generation of radio interference in accordance with the application of Council Directive 89/336/EEC, Article 4a. Conformity is declared by the application of EN35 022 Class A (CISPR 22).

Cortland Richmond
KA5S