Re: [RFI] Oscilloscope requirements for power line noise locating

To: "Util.RFI.pro" <utility.rfi.pro@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Oscilloscope requirements for power line noise locating
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 09:11:22 -0500
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Frank.

I guess my problem is that I still don't know with certainty exactly what the "video out" on these CATV FSMs, level meters, or signal monitors really is. Is it the output of the AM detector, making it essentially baseband from 0 to 300 kHz or so? Or is it an IF output of some sort? Sorry if this seems dumb, but I just don't know what I'm dealing with. I read in one manual something that suggested the video out level tracked with the meter reading. That suggested to me that it may be somehow tied to the AGC, but what that means I'm not sure. Any type of technical information on those units seems to be a closely guarded secret. Maybe I'll have to buy one and reverse engineer it to find out.

I had 95% success this last summer using audio only (or audio plus signal strength meter) on my tracking tools, but felt like I was spending too much time making sure I had the noise(s) that were actually causing interference and not just unrelated (localized) noises I happened to stumble across during the hunt. Some of them sounded a lot like the source I was after but turned out not to be. A complicating factor was having so many sources that I could never hear just one at a time. I would like to try it with the ability to see "signatures" as I hunt. Perhaps it won't help.

Paul Kelley, N1BUG
RFI Committee chair,
Piscataquis Amateur Radio Club