Re: [RFI] HDTV: Plasma vs LCD

To: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] HDTV: Plasma vs LCD
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 09:36:23 -0600
Cortland,

Thank you for reinforcing my point about the FCC's deplorable lack of guts
and common sense with emissions.  The situation for TV receivers, plus the
general lack of radiated emissions requirements testing below 26 MHz for
Part 15 devices, sure does raise havoc with HF communications.

One has to wonder what the story would be if the US was to ever have a
licensed, active ham as an FCC Commissioner (not likely anytime soon - if
ever!) who gets clobbered by garbage emissions from Part 15 devices in
his/her home or from neighbors.  Oh well, worth a few chuckles.

73,
Dale Svetanoff, WA9ENA
Sr EMC Engineer
E-N-A Systems, LLC
Specializing in shielding applications, system grounding, and lightning
protection

http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/measureme
nt/mp3/mp3-1985.pdf

> 8.2 Electromagnetic field: 30 MHz to 1 GHz
> Any equipment to which it is applicable shall be measured for
> radiated radio emissions from all units, cables, power lines and
> interconnecting wiring.
>
> IMVH (yeah, right)O we could ask the FCC to revisit this standard, now
> that TV receivers have screens large enough to be significant radiators
> all on their own.
>

> Cortland Richmond
> KA5S
> Sr EMC engineer
> Belcan Engineering Group.
>
> On 12/25/2012 2319, Dale Svetanoff wrote:
> > Mike,
> >
> > They most likely DO pass "testing standards".  That shows what a piss
poor
> > job the FCC has done with regards to emissions on so many devices.
> > Remember, the "warning" label on Part 15 and similar devices says that
the
> > device must not cause interference and it must accept interference.
Right.