Re: [RFI] Amtrak electric noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Amtrak electric noise
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 13:30:55 -0600
On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Gary Smith <Gary@ka1j.com> wrote:
> I may have power line noise in addition to Amtrak noise but the
> Amtrak QRM from arcing is deafening and has to be addressed. Since
> this isn't a Public utility and it crosses state borders albeit the
> QRN for me is local in Connecticut. Who do I complain to that will
> actually do something about it? I've asked around and gotten no phone
> number to call & I seriously doubt I would get any action if I
> contact Amtrak anyway.

Between New Haven and the NY state line, the right of way and power
system is owned by Conn DOT, not Amtrak.  East of New Haven, it's all
new (well, ~12 years old instead of 100 years) and is owned by Amtrak.

None of the overhead system is new so if this just started then
something may well have changed.

Had any big windstorms lately?