Re: [RFI] RFI Noise Issue

To: "t.izak" <k1tl@cox.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Noise Issue
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:18:22 -0800
: They have some "touch lamps" but they were off at the time.

Most things aren't "off" nowadays, if they have power, internal, or
external, the run clocks, memory, soft-start circuits...  To ensure things
are off, unplug them, disconnect the batteries, then shut off all breakers
to the various circuits in the house, then the main.  Pretty good chance
most things will now be off.  Watch out for UPS (uninteruptable power
supplies).

"Now this seems to go on around the time the wife arrives home from work and
disappears the time that she leaves for work. Maybe a coincidence?"

Too much of a coincidence!  Something like this is as good as nailed, kinda
like wondering why it's bright when you shine a light in your face.

"The only thing I saw when looking for a battery charger was her iPhone
attached to a small charger. Could this be causing the problem."

Very likely, actually.

"I told him to have the wife not charge up the phone or whatever she does so
I can eliminate their house."

Better yet, have her plug/unplug it while you can see it persoanly and hear
the noise, that can eliminate it, or not.

"Another RFI source is around 1800L as something comes on for about 12
hours and shuts down around 0600L +/-. This is like a power line
arcing/buzzing sound. I'm wondering if this is a vapor lamp on a faulty
timer as it seems to come on around the same time every day."

I have see/heard/created that many times over the years.  If it is tied more
with time, than ambient light, which changes each day, it's most likely on a
timer.  The sound you describe sounds like a bad light, the time suggests
it.  It could be a porch light or someone growing funny plants on their
property.

Do you have anything in the way of a portable receiver?

Kurt