[RFI] just what everyone needs!

To: <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] just what everyone needs!
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:47:38 -0700
I am not in total agreement with you Dale, but I see your
 point. If an absorber were in the path of a critical
purposeful reflection a change in pattern could occur.
  I look at this seeing a wire that unwanted current can be
 induced into making serious reflections. If the current
 induced could be reduced I see benefit by its not being
 re-radiated.
   I dont see this as a cure all but maybe a helpful benefit.
 It also seems to me one might experiment with this wire
as a down lead on the end of a Beverage to eliminate the
vertical end effects. Now we are thinking outside the box,
 I enjoy this crossing of ideas.
Lee   K7TJR  OR

Lee,

With all due respect, I have to disagree about not upsetting an antenna
pattern.  Look at it this way:  If the wire were run without a shielded
over braid, then the absorptive material over the copper conductors would,
at microwave (radar) frequencies also absorb RF in that frequency range,
possibly creating a partial null where none was intended.  If a shield over
braid is used, then the shield can cause reflections of the array's RF
signal, resulting in either nulls or peaks, depending upon orientation with
respect to the antenna and distance form it.

73, Dale
WA9ENA