Re: [RFI] GE Microwave

To: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>, Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] GE Microwave
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 08:46:05 -0700
On 8/28/2012 6:15 AM, Hardy Landskov wrote:
> Corcom filters have a common mode choke on the hot and neutral in
> their filters but not on the green wire. What is your take on that?
> 73 Hardy N7RT

Useless if the noise is common mode on all three conductors unless the
filter is effectively bonded to the noise source by a very short
conductcor.  I have a bunch of their filters here, bought surplus. Used
to own their stock when they were a public company.  Good company, good
products.

One root of the problem is the power systems equivalent of The Pin One
Problem -- that is, the noise source is not properly banded to its
enclosure, so the noise is common mode on all three conductors. A simple
example: I own three Astron linear supplies, all three of which have the
same fault -- the green wire and circuit common go to the chassis lug of
an old fashioned terminal strip, which is insulated from the chassis by
PAINT.  A simple test with a DC ohmeter shows no continuity between the
green wire and the chassis. These products are in violation of every
building code I know of, and should not have passed final test. And such
faults are NOT unusual.  If this product was a switching power supply,
the lack of that bond would cause line cord to radiate a lot of common
mode noise!

Another root cause is what WE call common mode -- all three conductors
-- is different from what the power industry calls common mode -- noise
between neutral and green.