Re: [RFI] Is a low pass filter necessary?

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Is a low pass filter necessary?
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 06:39:23 -0400
Despite the fact that most of the TVI cases I've personally investigated over
the years were the result of either front-end overload or direct ingress to the
TV set's IF circuitry (which used to be around 15 meters!), I've kept a
kilowatt low-pass filter on the output of my HF rig and amplifier for decades
on the theory that "it can't hurt".

This year, "encouraged" by the loss of semi-local analog broadcast TV channels
2 and 3 in our area, I finally put my home station on 6 meters for the first
time.  Imagine my surprise when my beautiful new beam appeared to have a very
high SWR as measured back at the 100-watt rig.

Guess what turned out to be causing the high SWR....

Perhaps new low-pass filters have a higher corner frequency to accommodate the
rash of HF rigs (and now the Elecraft KPA500 amplifier) that include 6-meter
coverage but, if they do, they certainly will be ineffective on the Low VHF TV
channels.

These days I expect I get most of my external harmonic filtering from the
natural selectivity of the HF antennas I use.

Bud, W2RU