Re: [RFI] Original message and replying

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Original message and replying
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:00:33 -0500
On Jan 20, 2012, at 1:36 PM, Dave Harmon wrote:

> This is the first I have heard of this....
> I guess not many others have heard of it either.

This is from a link:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

>From the FAQ on proper posting:

>>  - If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
>>      summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
>>      enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make
>>      sure readers understand when they start to read your response.
>>      Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
>>      postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
>>      response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
>>      helps everyone.  But do not include the entire original!

I will note that the faq from 1995. I was an early adopter of the internet and
groups, so that was what I grew up with. I don't know whether it is because I
grew up with bottom posting, I just find it easier. But it's probably like the
discussions about "73" versus "73's".

These days, early adopters are in a decided minority, and many people like to
top post. As long as there isn't a ton of unecessary text, I can make my way
through them.

        - 73 de Mike N3LI  -