[RFI] Fwd: Balun designs chokes

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Fwd: Balun designs chokes
From: e73m@e73m.com
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 17:02:34 -0600
BTW this pattern http://www.balundesigns.com/catalog/anechoic2.jpg of
no balun vs. with balun
http://www.balundesigns.com/catalog/anechoic1.jpg is far from true.

Even ARRL antenna handbook took it out years ago. Original source is
article in QST ,April 1980 by WA9NEW,
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/8004019.pdf

Error was probably due the fact that measurement was taken at 1.6 GHz.

I have tried to replicate this BAD pattern at Cushcraft Anechoic
chamber back in 1999 at 450MHz and all I got was a bit squinted (few
degees to the side of "hot" half of dipol)  number "8" dipol pattern
without Balun.

Even DXengineering uses similar pattern
http://www.dxengineering.com/images/examples/BALUN-2.jpg for marketing
their new line of Comtek baluns.