Re: [RFI] mystery noise

To: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] mystery noise
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 06:33:02 -0500
I'm sure you guys are probably right about the switcher.  I should have
mentioned that the active antenna is perhaps 100 feet from my shack, and
that I have a 10-turn coax choke on the feedline right at the output of
the antenna.  I measured a 1-turn choke on the same big toroid, and it
is around 30 ohms at 1.8 MHz, so if I'm not mistaken I have about 3000
ohms of common mode choke.  It's not the QS1R wall-wart, because I've
had it for a year, and this noise is new.

This, plus the fact that this noise was not present earlier, suggests
that the noise source may be my back-door neighbors, who live in a
trailer maybe 30 feet from the active antenna.  I'm going to try moving
the active antenna away from both them and my house and see if the noise
goes away or diminishes.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com