Re: [RFI] Automobile RFI

To: Diane and Edward Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Automobile RFI
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 15:38:45 -0500

On 12/17/2010 3:15 PM, Diane and Edward Swynar wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> Your experience with automobile interference is certainly a far cry from
> days of old, when we got our first television set (i.e. 1957)...
Ah, yes that sure brings back memories.
Remember what those things cost.  Early sets were several thousand
dollars.  In today's dollars that'd get you a 60" wide screen, home
entertainment center AND a top end computer.
> Every time a Ford would cruise past our house, the picture would get all
> staticky,&  there'd be a raucous noise coming out of the TV's speaker in
> sync with the revving of the engine...!
I drove one of those Fords, but to make maters worse it had a "full
house" under the hood.
That thing could block out the video and sound from a quarter mile away.
Course you could hear the exhaust farther than that<:-))  The thing
sounded like a Johndeer tractor at idle. Course I now have an old
airplane (even older) from 1959 with a 471 Cu in 6 cylinder, 260 HP
engine that sounds the same other than there is no ignition noise and
not nearly as loud.
> As kids we'd jump up&  look out the window to confirm the make of the
> 4-wheeled culprit---but after awhile, we'd simply shout out in unison,
> "Ford!" until the RFI had thankfully gone up the street...
>
> I guess they never used shielded ignition / spark cables in those vehicles
> back in the day...
They did in the 50's but it was common for people to remove the resistor
wiring harness, resistor plugs and go with HV wire and regular plugs.

73

Roger (K8RI)