Re: [RFI] CFL Bulbs that are OK!

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFL Bulbs that are OK!
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 01:06:21 -0500

On 11/30/2010 11:43 PM, John DeGood wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 1:12 PM, Hardy Landskov wrote:
>> Boy, I am glad I am not the only one with this short life problem. I buy
>> CFL's at Home Depot and 3 months later they go back but it is getting to be
>> a royal pain to keep track of receipts&  dates.
>> So back to incandescents.......
There are several things related to the rapid aging and deterioration of
CFLs and their associated circuits that may also result in RFI.

One of the worst things you can do to a CFL is counter to what we've
always been taught.  Turn them off every time you leave the room. Rapid
on/off cycles will dramatically reduce the life of a CFL.  Rule of thumb
has been, "don't turn them off unless you plan on being out of the room
for more than 5 minutes.".My preference is 10 minutes, but I have no
proof that there is any difference between 5 and 10 minutes.

The other is high temperature, although I use  a couple of them
completely inside glass globes and ceiling mounted, but none of those
are recessed.Two in the kitchen are mounted horizontally under the
valence over the sink.  The big ones in the garage are mounted inverted
as are all those in the glass globes.  I've noticed the bases of some
run much hotter than others although I've never tied that into any RFI.
I've not gone around with a "sniffer" checking up close for RFI.

73

Roger (K8RI)