Re: [RFI] Direct TV DVR problems

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Direct TV DVR problems
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 13:38:31 -0700
On 11/2/2010 1:07 PM, Howard Lester wrote:
> Jim, are you referring to the number of turns required as a function of the
> operating frequency?

I'm referring both to the winding instructions and also the various
discussions of how RFI occurs and how to kill it.

> And yes, the Amidon ferrites I bought long ago were FT-240's.

They are NOT Amidon ferrites, they are Fair-Rite toroids, with a VERY
high markup added by Amidon. AND the cores you bought from Amidon are
almost certainly not #31.   The wholesale cost of these cores is about
$4 in lots of 100 or more.  Last I heard, Amidon and other ham vendors
were selling them for something like $15.  Not a fair price.

Appendix One of that tutorial includes advice about how and where to buy
ferrites and which ones to buy.