Re: [RFI] HomePlug Experience?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] HomePlug Experience?
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 06:42:17 -0400
> I do know the CAT5e and CAT6 do radiate making the use of 2-meter HTs
> problematic within about 75 feet of the cable runs.

That almost sounds like something could be wrong. At ARRL HQ, we have an
extensive Ethernet and radio operation continues pretty much noise free.  There
is some noise on HF to the W1HQ club station, but I wouldn't think that we are
hearing the network at W1AW about 300 feet from the HQ building.

All in all, the wired technologies, other than power-line, have been reasonably
benign. We have gotten some reports of AT&T Uverse RFI (to and from), but from
all indications, most of the installations appear to be pretty clean in both
directions.  We are working with one of the AT&T engineers to determine what
the differences are between the sytems.  When this question first raised, I
hired a consultant on the West Coast to do some measurements of a nearby Uverse
system. He reported that the system was pretty much inaudible on the ham bands
and that 100 watts to a dipole 10 feet from the control box did not affect it,
based on test downloads being done in a nearby home.  So far, what appears to
be happening is that some of the units are not properly internally grounded
and/or some of the premises are using substandard telephone wiring.  It's a
slow process, but I think we can ultimately get a service bulletin out of AT&T
so that when hams have problems, they can at least be
 addressed.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Manager