Re: [RFI] What the ARRL has power line noise?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] What the ARRL has power line noise?
From: "Clay W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 18:41:44 -0700
The radio receivers will get you close or maybe even to the pole in
question, but will not necessarily tell the power company folks where the
problem on the pole is.  The ultrasound dish locator that I think you're
referring to will let you locate the actual source on the pole to within an
inch or two.  The one that I've used is made by Radar Engineers in Portland,
OR and has a gun-sight on it.  As you look at various potential problem
areas on the pole, it will start to make noise when you find it.  I have so
many power line problems at my QTH, that the power company finally hired a
consultant that I go out with several times a year.  They start by listening
to the noise on my receiver.  Then they hook up their receiver which has a
digital scope to my antenna so they can record the noise signature.  I pin
point the direction as carefully as possible on 6M using a high 7el yagi and
then print out the direction vector on a GoogleEarth picture centered on my
antenna.  So far we have located 8 poles this season.  Using the ultrasound
locator, we have identified the exact noise source whether it is a loose
bolt on a cross-brace, an insulator, or a wire that has detached from the
insulator and is arcing against the metallic bracket that holds the
insulator.  BTW, the problem poles are usually located within 3 miles of
home and are typically within 100 yards of the vector on my GoogleEarth map.
One final note: we always go pole-hunting on clear, sunny days when the
poles are most likely to be making noise.  High humidity and rain nearly
always quiet things down.

It sounds to me like PG&E needs to find someone qualified to hunt down
power-line noise.  If their tech is carrying the ultrasound locator, but not
using it, chances are pretty good that he doesn't know what he's doing.
Don't give up and keep making noise (no pun intended).  If they don't fix
the problem, contact the FCC and let them know.

BTW, if you'd like to look at the Ultrasound locator that I've mentioned,
you can see it at:

http://www.radarengineers.com/rfitvi.htm#spark

I have no interest in this company.  But I've used their products and they
work.

73,
Clay  W7CE