Re: [RFI] Sudden Computer Racket

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Sudden Computer Racket
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:28:06 -0700
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:29:25 -0700, Terry Dunlap wrote:

>I'm getting ready to install a home theater system.  I know that at the
>very least, I will need to put ferrite chokes on all the speaker wires.
>Where are folks finding the best price for Type 31 cores?

There's a list of known good vendors in Appendix One of my tutorial.
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Be sure to use TWISTED PAIR for that loudspeaker wiring. Parallel wires
(zip cord), including the wildly overpriced stuff sold in the name of
high futility, is a terror for RFI (and is no better than #12 copper for
audio). There is no better speaker wire than plain ordinary copper. To
maintain good damping factor (i.e. deep bass), keep the resistance low by
using larger gauges for long runs.

73, Jim Brown K9YC
Fellow, Audio Engineering Society