Re: [RFI] AM Broadcast petition

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] AM Broadcast petition
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 18:09:45 -0700
On Wed, 05 May 2010 14:42:00 -0500, kd4e wrote:

>Whatever happened to digital AM-BC?

It is alive, well, and ugly (because every transmitter that uses it
splatters several channels wide, which clobbers weaker signals on
adjacent channels).

>Would that not overcome the problem?

Although I haven't experienced it (there ain't much on AM nowadays I
care to hear), I would expect it to be subject to the same sort of
"cliff effect" that is characteristic of DTV.

The real significance of this petition is that it articulates quite
effectively the extent to which "small government," lobbying by big
money, and the bribery called campaign contributions has made the FCC
the equivalent of a failed state. To that extent, I applaud and support
the petitioner!

73,

Jim Brown K9YC