Re: [RFI] Six Meter Intruder

To: "Johnson, Karin" <Karin.Johnson@nielsen.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Six Meter Intruder
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 15:49:49 -0500
A few guesses:
Many older devices use Ch 2 and Ch 3 to feed the TV set. It's possible
some one decided they needed a third link and managed to twiddle the
frequency down into 6-meters, or a component failed shifting one down.
Remember too that the cordless devices operated just below six.  I don't
know if any of those monitors used TV or not.

Probably the most likely possibility is the cable system. They have
stuff all over the place and it doesn't take much for a substantial
signal to leak out. IIRC around here they do have something on what
would have been channel one and of course cable channel 18 is right in
the middle of 2-meters. Just listen to 145.25 for leaks.

 It's also possible there's some mixing going on somewhere with the
resultant coming out in the six meter band.  We had that happen to our
local repeater. We received a report of interfering with a public safety
system, but the system was well beyond our coverage range.  It turned
out there was either a police or fire repeater about 30 or 40 miles from
us (and of course much closer to system suffering interference).  They
had a device go non linear and mix our signal with another.  The
resultant was our freshly amplified image was right on the input to the
system suffering the problem.

 73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)