Re: [RFI] FW: Ignition Noise [Incident: 100111-000562]

To: dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] FW: Ignition Noise [Incident: 100111-000562]
From: Brendan Minish <ei6iz.brendan@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 00:23:35 +0000
On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 16:53 -0600, dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com wrote:
>  In reality, there are one or more
> hams employed in the EMC department of most of the major auto makers.

Volkswagen also employ hams, both in their EMC department and more
generally.
I have met a few of them, including an EMC engineer ham who was
responsible for ensuring that HF Transmission was ok on the VW T4 Vans.
When he saw my front fender mounted screwdriver, he said ' we don't
recommend that mounting location as we did not test for that' however we
agreed that it would be ok because I had taken sufficient care to ensure
that coupling to the on board electronics was kept to a minimum.

I have never had an issue with either noise generated by the Van's
electronics or with HF ingress to the on board electronics.

Lots of decoupling on routes we don't want RF to follow and very low
impedance bonding where we do want it to go is the key to happy
co-existence .

--
73
Brendan EI6IZ