[RFI] Ferrite Beads from DX Engineering

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Ferrite Beads from DX Engineering
From: "David Jordan" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:08:29 -0500
Hi Folks,

I saw this statement on the DX Engineering web site:

"These Ferrite beads, when placed around a current carrying conductor, act
as an RF choke. They offer a convenient, inexpensive, yet a very effective
means of RF shielding, parasitic suppression and RF decoupling. This special
Ferrite mix is ideal for use at HF and effectively decouples unwanted RF
from automobile ignition systems, control lines, audio cables or other wires
and cables suspected to be radiating interference."

I'm scratching my head trying to understand how any number of snap-on
ferrite beads would reduce ignition noise.  I scratch further where they
think one should install these beads.

I asked DX Engineering for a quick explanation and I am waiting for their
response.

Has anyone tried this or tired it and experienced success?  I tend to think
the beads don't do a damn thing to the RFI flying off the spark cables,
radiating from the igniter or traveling down the low voltage input.

73,

Dave

Wa3gin