Re: [RFI] Motherboard RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Motherboard RFI
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 20:43:30 -0600
On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 13:18, Roger (K8RI) <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:
> Don't forget the power supply.  Although it *appears* the noise is
> coming from one of the com ports, it may not be originating there. My
> experience has been the two most common sources are the power supply and
> network adapter.

(deleting the rest for brevity, but I did read it!)

System was originally built by a coworker that moved to Tokyo in 2004.
 In fact, it's hostname is set to JA1GG - his initials were GG.  He
gave it to me rather than ship it over.  Not sure if he was a gamer or
not, but he was certainly a power user.  It originally had an Athlon
CPU, a good motherboard (my stupidity put an end to them - see
previous reply!),  good sound and video for it's time, so I'm pretty
sure he didn't skimp on the PS.

Now, you mentioned network adapters.  Heh.  I was inspired to check
the source of this noise because a coworker found that his little
4-port Linksys switch was very noisy on HF.  I have a similar switch
and checked it out first.  When that wasn't the culprit, I started
pulling cables one by one until the noise went away.  I think I
mentioned in the original post that the system was sitting at the GRUB
screen (it's multiboot, but primarily runs XP SP3), so it's noisy
before the OS ever loads.

Anyway. I'm not using the built-in NIC but an old 3Com 3C905 ...
Why?  Because Thor paid a visit through the network a few years ago
and I *thought* only took out the NIC.

Maybe the other person that replied and suggested a broken trace or
other physical issue is on to something.  :-)

I have no idea if the noise was there before Thor's visit or not.