Re: [RFI] More cowbell?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] More cowbell?
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:40:28 -0600
On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 15:07, Roger (K8RI) <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>> Thanks for all the suggestions, but what I'm really looking for is a
>> magical silver bullet.  Got any of those??  :-)
>>

> It's called an "Engineer's Hammer", Weighs 5# and guaranteed to work.
> Unfortunately it may be difficult to to get on the air after the
> application depending on what equipment it's used on.<:-))
>
> Good Luck, I know how frustrating these things can be.

I never really finished my story.  I ended up borrowing an
honest-to-goodness Icom CT-17 level converter and made nearly 400 QSOs
during RTTY Roundup.  The CT-17 evidently has enough Ls, Cs, etc, to
keep the RF out.

Still have the problem, of course, and am finally coming to the
realization that I need to get a new antenna.  The 80-10 trap dipole
may still work 80-15, but I think when that trap went, it left the
whole thing unbalanced.

When the weather clears some, I plan to find a new pair of trees to
string up the Not-80-thru-10 trap dipole (Spi-Ro D-52 advertised as
"80-10") and see how it does on 15.  If it gives me 80, 40, and 15,
then I only need something for 20, since I have a 10 m dipole and a
30-17-12 trap dipole.  Well, and I should get something for 160, too.
:-)

Thought about a Rhombic, then woke up.

I certainly enjoy reading the mail here - very informative!!

--

No Trillion-dollar blank check for crooks!