[RFI] Resolution of RFI into the receiver

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Resolution of RFI into the receiver
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:55:48 -0500
I will shorten this to make it helpful & not an opus;

I have been using a K9AY antenna and discovered my amplifier was
acting strangely. I received reports my signals were seen on multiple
frequencies at the same time and there were poor characteristics to
both CW and SSB.

The problem was only when using the remote antenna, unplugging the
remote antenna resolved the issue. I was using an ICE 196 front end
protector which limits the signal to the radio and there was a preamp
to amplify the weak signals from the small loop K9AY.

The solution is to place the preamp before the ICE 196 and allow the
preamp to experience the RF signals and after the amplification, the
ICE 196 reduces the amplified signals to acceptable levels with no
excessive RFI whatsoever. If done the other way around, the ICE
limits the overloaded signal but there is created a residue of
spurious signals whgich is then amplified by the pre-amp.

The fix:

Pre-Amp first & limiter 2nd = a clean signal to the radio that is not
an overload & dirty signal situation..

100% of my problems have been resolved by this change in order.

May this help another someday as this list has helped me in the past.

73,

Gary
KA1J