Re: [RFI] New 857, won't TX on 20m - RFI in truck meters and dial l

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] New 857, won't TX on 20m - RFI in truck meters and dial lights (kd4e)
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:59:19 -0700
This is very bad advice. A major CAUSE of RFI to auto electrical
systems is lousy chassis bonding due to excessive emphasis on
painting the chassis parts. The body of a vehicle is a big broad
mass -- IF all parts are well bonded together. Resonances and RFI
occurs when it is NOT well bonded.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC

The On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:32:01 +0000, Keon wrote:

>I think you have created a ground loop. The thing is, bonding is
good but in bonding you can create resonate length wires and stuff
if you bond too much.

>Worse come to worse, unbond everything and start over. Bond the
doors and hook and check the bands. Then bond a bit more.

>I suspect  if you bonded your exhaust and you are driving a big
truck; that is long enough to resonate on 20 so unbond that first.