Re: [RFI] Corona Noise Profile?

To: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>,"RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Corona Noise Profile?
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 08:23:32 -0600
> noise, but not corona noise?  Is it because typical powerline noise is
> periodic in nature and corona is random?

Kelly, I think you are pretty close to the answer.

The noise blankers on the old GE (and Motorola) low-band
VHF radios used a separate TRF (Tuned RF) receiver to
amplify the 'noise' - and the last stage had a combo differentiator
and one-shot multivibrator that worked to literally blank
the receiver for really spikey, narrow impulse pulse-noise
sources at a 60/120 Hz rate (power line noise) or ignition
(car) pulse rate that didn't have terribly high repitition rates

I remember one particular Moto low-band 'Dispatcher'
series radio that worked particularly effective on power
line impulse noise, but not so well when the pulses got
to be numerous, as from brush-type motors; I would
say that corona is in this same vein.

Jim P  // WB5WPA //