[RFI] Receive Antenna and Noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Receive Antenna and Noise
From: "Robert Blum" <rblum1@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 15:14:23 -0400
I am looking at installing antennas for my newly rediscovered SWL hobby.
I'd love some advice from the group.

Background:

Newly returning to SWL as I am now disabled/retired.

Recently moved to a home with very restrictive association antenna rules.

In process of minimizing noise sources within home, but homes are duplex
style so other noise very close.

Primary listening interests are below 10 MHz down to AM broadcast band.

Considering:

Loop, such as Wellbrook 1530 on our deck with a rotor.  Would be about 3-5
feet above deck surface which is 3 feet above ground.  I am wondering if
near field properties of loop would lessen locally generated noise?

Active antennas such as DX Engineering vertical or horizontal connected to
their new noise canceling controller.  The antenna units would be mounted on
the deck railing about 8 feet apart.  I was thinking of using the horizontal
type at 90 degrees from each other, thinking again less noise.  If the
vertical units would not be more noise, they would be a much better
aesthetic installation on the deck.

Although there is a crawl space type attic, access would be tough for me and
besides, the duplex nature of the building will mean uncontrollable noise is
still very close.

Since noise is an important consideration for me, I am hoping some of the
members will chime in.

Thanks in advance,  Bob