Re: [RFI] A `Time Bomb' Sits Atop Utility Poles

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] A `Time Bomb' Sits Atop Utility Poles
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:11:16 EDT
So are these things a noise generating problem as they are sit there  getting
ready to kill an unsuspecting lineman?

If so, would the presence of RF noise be an indication that they might soon
fail, i.e. would noise give the utiltities a better reason to get out  quickly
to fix it?

This sounds a bit like a problem I've had this summer.  Two  different poles
within a mile of my house had side mounted insulators that  broke, dropping
the higher line onto the lower line, thus with only the wire  insulation
separating the 13 KV or so.  They made a lot of RF noise, but at  least they
weren't
very difficult to locate.

I took photos and emailed them to the local power company line noise  guy.
After a month or so they got fixed, but in my case I'm dealing with  the same
company that left a boric acid leak in one of its nuclear reactors  go
unrepaired for 5 years or so, eating away the reactor head until only a
stainless
steel liner kept things contained.

73  -  Jim  K8MR