[RFI] Washing Machine RFI - at least one case solved

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Washing Machine RFI - at least one case solved
From: "Scott M. Yost" <northernradiolabs@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 18:55:08 -0400
Washing Machine RFI - at least one case solved

We have a Gibson front loading clothes washer which was the most prolific RFI
generator on the planet.  It blanketed MF through HF when running, and not just
radios inside the house.  It actually would wipe out my 40m mobile, parked out
in the driveway.  I tinkered with the problem off and on, and finally struck on
a combination to solve it.

Before I start, standard disclaimer:  if you undertake this, you do so at your
own risk, and I make no warranty whatsoever.

I'd determined the noise originated in the unit's motor controller, and was
being radiated by the house wiring.  This was reinforced on reading an
excellent