Re: [RFI] RFI searching

To: "Van Fair" <giw@bellsouth.net>, <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI searching
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:39:56 -0600
I use my AOR "AR 1000" (8 MHz - 1300 MHz) for
only *one* thing when DFing noise; in the
AM mode at UHF (450 MHz) in conjunction
with a 7 element Yagi 'beam'.

For MW and HF DFing I use a AM/FM/SW Sears
portable radio (we're talking a beast that takes 4- D
cells here) that uses a long internal ferrite loopstick
for the 2 - 6 MHZ band. This radio is also equipped
with a meter, and *this* comes in handy when
measuring and comparing the strong signals from a
noisy power poles about a foot away from the 'ground'
wire when 'nailing it down to a pole or two'.

For Six meters, I use a TV Field strength meter -
an old Sadelco I picked up for 20 or so bucks used.

It will tune down to 53 MHz.

I use this with either a TV log periodic antenna (a
Jerrold or Delphi 933 VU which works down to 52 MHz)
or a dipole cut for TV CH 3. This works well when out in
the 'field' locating pole - use the nulls off the ends to
locate the offender. About 4' feet of PVC pipe works well
for the insulating handle on this dipole ...

The Sadelco FS meter:

a) reads peak field strength (remember, NTSC receivers
   sample AGC on the *sync tips*, not average signal
   strength...
b) it is wideband, a 1/2 MHz wide IF at the 3 dB points.
    This makes it respond really well to broadband
    impulse noise sources.
c) it is calibrated

I have also cut dipoles for 10 meters - and used the
AOR "AR 1000"

For the 'purists' on the list, I also own a couple of
Stoddart "Radio Interference and Field Intensity
Meters", both an NM-22A and an NM-30A (both
with working quasi-peak circuits too!)  but these
are big, bulky, they *do* work, but aren't portable.

(I won't even mention the nondescript garden variety
older model HP spectrum analyzers that I own.)

Jim P  /  WB5WPA  /