[RFI] Re: Ethernet wiring

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Re: Ethernet wiring
From: ve3yv@pathcom.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:41:15 -0500
The standard for Ethernet wiring has another wrinkle - not all pairs are
adjacent in the RJ-45 plug.  See the attached link for reference.  Also, for
home wiring you can cheat as only two of the four pairs are used for signal
(the powered emerging standard is a different story).   Handy if you need to
make a second drop without pulling another cable (and/or you're a true ham and
too cheap to run two wires or go wireless).

FYI - All of my wired drops are wrapped around old ferrite AM radio loopsticks
on each end, as are the wall warts going to the router and DSL modem.  Didn't
wait to see if I'd have problems, just did it to feel good.  Still feeling
good - no RF ingress or egress yet noted.  Of course, YMMV, probably during a
major contest or pile-up for a new one.

http://yoda.uvi.edu/InfoTech/rj45.htm

73,

George  VE3YV / K8HI