Re: [RFI] Ferrite Beads

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ferrite Beads
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:01:43 +0100
Jim Smith wrote:
Sounds very ingenious and effective. The only problem is that I can't picture it. Can you give us a little more info?

73, Jim VE7FO

Ford Peterson wrote:

I use a machinist vice to do the dirty deed.  By separating two blocks to the
approximate diameter of the toroids, and using a drill bit on the
opposite side of the core, in the middle between the blocks, the vice will
split them in two nearly perfect every time.  As long as you keep the
halves matched up in pairs, they can be placed back together with an almost
imperceptible crack between them.  I think the coupling in this
manner is actually much better than the traditional split cores could ever be.

There are gadgets available for bending metal in the vice, that have a sharp blade squeezing into the centre of a V-block. They might be just perfect for splitting toroids.

Search in http://www.axminster.co.uk for product codes 4MVB, 6MVB and K0801.

(I'm out of town for the next 10 days, but might give it a try later and report back.)

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek