Re: Re: [RFI] 160 Meter Interference

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Re: [RFI] 160 Meter Interference
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:18:58 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
I have had some luck hunting down noise sources using small nonresonant loops
on a handheld, wideband receiver.  I demonstrated the method at the Puget Sound
area Mike and Key Club's September meeting made from three Radio Shack items; a
one foot PL259 jumper, a UHF series T adapter and an SO-239 to BNC adapter.
The noise source also came from Radio Shack; an 8-AA battery charger.

One useful trick, for harmonically caused problems like these, and using a
small magnetic field antenna like a loop,  is to tune to a LOWER frequency
harmonic of the source.   This reduces sensitivity, but makes it easier to
locate the source.

Cortland Richmond
KA5S