[RFI] Re: 97 Chevy Tahoe noise problem

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Re: 97 Chevy Tahoe noise problem
From: "Mel Crichton" <kj9c@iquest.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:04:11 -0500
Had a lot of ignition noise from Toyota coming into my IC 706 via the
antenna.... Connected a piece of RG58 with a 1/2 inch diameter wire
loop at the end as my RF sniffer, other end PL259 connector to the
radio..... found a lot of radiation from plug wires and some other
components. Not much from tailpipe or alternator.

I shielded all the plug cables with copper braid (the 3/4 or 1 inch
wide braid strap will open to maybe 2 inch diameter opening to pull
plug wire connectors through it)

Then I grounded the braid to the engine block, and then wrapped
aluminum foil over the coil-on-plug boxes and the other plug heads,
and grounded it to the body. Also foil over the components that I
found with the sniffer

Grounded the hood to body with more braid strap.

I can set a mag-mount antenna on the hood and hear no ignition noise,
but on the roof there still is some RFI getting in from someplace. Not
as bad as before though

Good luck with the Chevy....

Mel KJ9C