Re: [RFI] CAT 3 Cable?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CAT 3 Cable?
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:20:14 +0100
Jim Brown wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:38:38 -0400, Tom Rauch wrote:

As for beads, people just throw a few beads at the problem and assume they
are making some profound change in the system. Actually most beads, like
most cables, have little effect on the system. You might remove medium
amounts of RFI, but won't likely make any large canges.

My 6m SSB radio was getting into the landline in my wife's office. A 1" long Fair Rite #43 clamp-on took it right out.

We've all seen examples where one clamp-on bead can work, but I don't think that negates Tom's point.

If one bead is enough to solve an RFI problem, it only proves that the problem was a "soft target".

The majority of problems are tougher than that, and need stronger solutions - which all involve more effort than a single clamp-on bead. Unfortunately they also involve activities like cutting cables, removing plugs (to wind toroids) and using a soldering iron... all of which are fine in our own homes, but not so good in other people's.