RE: [RFI] Honda Generator Question

To: "Dan Richardson" <k6mhe@adelphia.net>, <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] Honda Generator Question
From: "Patrick A. Thompson Sr." <wa4tukhr@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 21:49:15 -0400
I've got one of these EU1000i that goes camping with us to recharge the
camper battery in camps with no electricity. I didn't hear any hash from the
generator/inverter combo.  The spark noise from the gasoline engine covered
it up. I was using a vertical antenna wire to a nearby tree fed from an AH-4
tuner mounted on the spare tire holder. A dipole or other antenna further
away might have been quieter. A 2000 watt model is also available.

I think you'll have spark noise from any engine regardless of the generator
attached. But I did not hear inverter hash. The spark noise was S7.

Otherwise, these are excellent generators.  The voltage regulation is
excellent so that the lights don't flicker. A feature called "eco-throttle"
varies the engine speed to match the electrical load and conserves fuel.
Output frequency is set by the inverter that is fed rectified 3 phase power
from the alternator so the engine speed can be varied to suit the load.
They are also among the most quiet (sonically) available so you don't
disturb your neighbors as much. It's lightweight. I can carry it with one
hand.

I didn't operate the ham rig much while the batteries were under charge but
operated later in the day and evening from battery only.

I never attempted to reduce the spark noise.

Pat
wa4tuk