RE: [RFI] WSJ-BPL

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] WSJ-BPL
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:33:25 -0600
Here's another take on the subject of pigeon-holing of engineers.

Usually, when a an engineer says something "stupid" it's factual but
put's his company or product in a bad light.  When a marketing-type says
something stupid, it's usually --how do I say this nice-- less than
factual, but that's OK because he's not a technical guy so lying in that
area is OK for the sales group mentality.  This has been the source for
countless Dilbert cartoons.

Most, if not all ethical codes for professional engineers require that
engineers put society & the public good above that of his company or
even the law for that matter.   So ethically he's required to say these
"stupid" things when the facts support it, whereas marketing folks are
not required to tell the truth or even anything resembling it.  In fact
just the opposite is true.  (That's why some companies keep the
engineer's "in the lab" so to speak.)  When a journalist cannot tell the
difference, that tells us a lot about his character or intelligence or
lack thereof.

It's when there's disagreement among engineers about what is best for
society and the public good that we get things like BPL being proposed.
Is it better to have more ISP connections & competition for our society,
or is it better to protect rare and irreplaceable spectrum resources
that can better serve society in times of disaster and crisis?  That's
the heart of matter in my opinion.

Now, let's get back to fighting the enemy.

73,
 de ed -K0iL