[RFI] Noise Canceller vs DSP filter

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Noise Canceller vs DSP filter
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:16:10 -0500
NE0P wrote:
> I began to solve the problem by getting a Yaesu
> FT100D.  The NB is incredible, as QST stated in their
> review, and it helps rid the noise on several bands,

If it is a typical impusle-type noise blanker, you might
not be as impressed with its performance under crowded
band conditions.  The blankers on my IC-765's work great,
*except* in crowded band conditions, like a radio contest.
I'll leave the explanation of why this is to someone who
can explain it better than I could.

Line noise really has to be dealt with at the source,
in my experience.  Definately rule out local (in home)
sources first.  Keep good records when it comes time to
deal with the power utility.

Good luck, and please keep us informed of your progress.

-Kirk  K4RO