[RFI] Low pass filters

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Low pass filters
From: Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <ehare@arrl.org (Hare, Ed, W1RFI)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:48:00 -0500
Almost any low-pass filter will offer at least 30-60 dB of stop-band
attenuation.  In most cases, IF the intereference is caused by transmitter
unwanted emissions, this will be quite enough to make the problem go away.

The main purpose of a low-pass xmit filter (or bandpass for VHF
transmitters) is so that when you DO have an interference problem, you can
point to it with pride.  :-)  Most cases of consumer interference are caused
by fundamental overload, not transmitter harmonics.

73 from ARRL HQ,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab Supervisor