NA-User

[na-user] Troubles with ALT/K

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Troubles with ALT/K
From: Ray Benny <jbenny@rain.org> (Ray Benny)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:04:49 -0800
For the SS CW effort last weekend N6VR was a multi-single entry. It was
the first time any of us had used NA. I cannot complain about NA, it
worked very well. The problem is, that at sometime, all the operators
hit Alt/K instead of Crtl/K to clear the qso line.

Alt/K sets the keyboard into the TX keying mode, if it is setup. In our
case, we did not set it up because we felt that it was not needed. If
during the heat of the contest, I hit Alt/K instead of Crtl/K to clear
(kill) the data on the qso line, the keyboard (computer) appeared to
freeze up. I now understand that if I hit Alt/K again, everything
returns to normal. But, not knowing this at the time, one hits any
number of keys trying to unfreeze the keyboard, including ESC. At this
point we are desperate, only thing to do is reboot the computer.

Because we were in the multi-single category and had two rigs and
computers networked, during the reboot period, we unknowingly lost one
QSO on the second computer. We did not realize this until several
hundred QSOs later, one of the computers was behind one QSO number and
sending the wrong serial number.

I will inform the ARRL of the discrepancy, but I am wondering if this is
something others were experiencing? Should the Alt/K w/o keyboard setup
be disabled? After searching the manual for any explanation, I now know
to use either F11 or F12 instead.

Any comments or suggestions?

Ray, N6VR

--