CT-User

Re: [ct-user] More IC706 interface problems

To: Larry Strasser <k2ls@optonline.net>, CT-User@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [ct-user] More IC706 interface problems
From: Peter Reed <P.L.Reed@sussex.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:33:54 +0000
Hi,

I assume you are having problems keying the rig because your Toshiba
laptop(?) does not have its own parallel or serial port so you are using a
parallel port card.

I looked into this issue recently as I was going to (and now have) bought a
laptop which has no serial or parallel ports but I wanted to be able to key
the rig from ct.

I tried using a USB - Serial device but there was no keying from it on the
DTR line. I was using ctwin v10 under XP.

However, I then tried running ctv9 under XP with the USB - Serial device
and, hey, it worked. Nice keying from the DTR line of the USB - serial
device.

I subsequently tried this combination on 3 laptops and 2 desktops running
ct v9 under XP and all worked fine.

So, a couple of suggestions:

1. Just give ct v9 a try with your parallel port card.
2. If no go, then maybe invest in a USB - Serial device (mine cost £10,
about 15$) and try running ct v9.

For me, v9 is fine - I don't need the extra that v10 offers.

Good luck.

Peter, G4BVH

--On 26 January 2006 08:15 -0500 Larry Strasser <k2ls@optonline.net> wrote:

> Well, I still can not get my IC706MKIIG to be keyed by CTWin v10 in a
> Dell Inspiron 2200 windows XP home.
>
> I even purchased a Universal parallel port card from
>
> http://www.transdigital.net/info.htm
>
> but no CW from the parallel port using it as LPT 1 or LPT 2.
>
> I then put the card into my Toshiba running Win 98SE and the card
> outputs CW as either LPT1 or 2!
>
> I left a plea for help at K1EA but I guess he is extremely busy.
>
> Still looking for any help that you might have.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> 73, Larry
>
> DXC.K2LS.COM   Spots from NA ZOnes 1-8 ONLY

Peter Reed,
Computing and Electronics Support,
Sussex University,
School of Life Sciences,