CT-User

[ct-user] Urgent help needed! Summary & conclusion

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Urgent help needed! Summary & conclusion
From: n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:15:48 -0500
> First, if you (or any member of your club) is running CT 8.27 on an old
laptop,
> for whatever reason, encourage the operator to make an immediate backup of
the
> BIN file after use and *prior* to running any of the after-contest
functions.

Good advice!

> Secondly, do not, I repeat *do not* run the dupe removal utility. It is
> defective
> and *will* render the file unreadable by CT. Oh, CT will remove the dupes
> alright.

There is no reason to remove dupes from your log.  They do not count against
you at all and in fact, may allow you to keep a QSO that you might otherwise
lose during the checking process.

The way this happens is that you log someone early in the contest.  They
call you later, and it appears to be a dupe to you, but they may have
actually worked someone else in your earlier entry that happened to be on or
near your frequency.  If you removed the second QSO, (which in this scenario
is the real one) you'd lose credit for the first one.

So there's no harm in leaving dupes in, but it could harm you taking them
out.

73,
N5NJ